Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 6: Franklyn

Method of Acquisition: Borrowed

Runtime: 98 minutes Year: 2008

Plot: In religious London, Ryan Phillippe is an angry mask wearing dude, fake Ian Curtis has an imaginary friend, an angst filled artist likes suicide, and a guy is looking for his son.

Review: It is a bad idea to wait until the end of the day when you are dead tired to watch a movie with multiple narratives. Luckily the costuming and casting were pretty fun so I didn't mind that I was confused as to what was going on. Sam Riley from Control was in it and so I decided he was Ian Curtis. Also since Ryan Phillippe generally gets a lot of pretty boy roles, I like to think he put on the mask was a way of uglying himself for an Oscar (i.e. Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, etc).The ending is pretty rad and all the story lines intersect. And there is a good long creepy bit of silent eye contact. I'd totally watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment